Stan's Tuesday Walks

A Weekly Feature
by Stan Evans,
President, Santa Fe Always Online

April 3 , 2001

What the heck is going on? I asked myself when I woke up this morning at 5 a. m. It was dark again outside, when just last week the day was light at this hour. But then I remembered: Daylight Saving Time. It tricks me every year—but I have to admit I like those long, bright evenings. And pretty soon it will be full daylight at 5 a.m. anyway.

As always, the first thing I did after waking was to check the Gary Larson calendar that my daughter gave me. For those of you who are not familiar with Larson, he’s that oddball cartoonist whose mind does not work like yours or mine. I go to the calendar not because I need to know the date, but to see what goofy satire he has dreamed up for this day. Sometimes I don’t understand them, and sometimes I don’t find them all that funny. But occasionally one really gets my attention and starts my day with a hearty chuckle. That’s why I check him every morning. Today’s was pretty good, but I won’t try to explain it here.

I have a slight cold (I think my own snoring woke me up), so as I set out on my walk I had to breathe through my mouth. Even though the temperature was mild at 48 degrees, breathing this way made my lungs burn. I set a slow pace so that my breathing would not be too intense, and as my body heated up, the burning stopped.

Passing the state government Bataan Building at the convergence of Galisteo Street and Cerrillos Road, I remembered managing an Easter egg hunt for the Junior Chamber of Commerce at that site, about 30 years ago. Hundreds of kids showed up. We roped off a large area of the grass, and the kids eagerly waited outside the boundary for the signal to charge. We had so many eggs that the majority of them of them were just lying in plain sight on the grass, for lack of places to hide them. When the kids got the signal, they zeroed in on some plastic eggs we had put out that contained prizes or money. And anything that got in their way got stomped on. You wouldn't have believed the clean-up job my committee faced in the aftermath.

On West San Francisco, two short blocks from the Plaza, I saw my first jogger, a woman. And the Plaza itself was much quieter than last week. I guess the darkness slowed the activity. Had I chosen to look in any of the display windows, I would have had them all to myself again. Last week I had to share them with other early birds. Outside the French Pastry Shop was the same guy I saw last week, still coughing and gagging. I wondered if he had been coughing there all week long or if this was another trip.

Guess what? I didn't stop at the French Pastry Shop today! Because I had walked instead of driving to the Plaza, I figured I didn't have enough time. My friends have been kidding me that with all the driving and all the pastries, I’m going to gain weight instead of losing it on my walks. But I fooled them this time. I just made the turn for home, walking behind La Fonda on Water Street and over to Old Santa Fe Trail, then from there to Paseo de Peralta and on to Cerrillos Road. There I spotted two more joggers—once again ladies. Where the heck are the guys? I wondered. Still in bed, I guess!

Back at my abode I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the entire loop had taken only 35 minutes. My pace is picking up. If I can just manage to resist the lure of the pastry shop from time to time, this walking will be good for me yet.

Have a good day.


Email Stan


March 27, 2001

March 20, 2001

March 14, 2001

March 6, 2001

February 27, 2001

February 20, 2001

Copyright © 2001 Santa Fe Always Online, Inc.