Stan's Tuesday Walks

A Weekly Feature
by Stan Evans,
President, Santa Fe Always Online

October 9, 2001

Today I got up later than usual. It wasn't a very good morning, because I awoke tired from not having slept well. The tiredness was not physical, but emotional.

Yesterday I lost a special childhood friend to cancer. In my heart is a separate compartment for special childhood friends. They are the ones who have shared with me all the things that have been important all through my life. Such a friend was Tom Smith—Dr. Tom Smith, one of Santa Fe’s finest veterinarians.

Even when we were in elementary school and I wanted to be a policeman or fireman or cowboy, Tom wanted to be a vet. We knew our goals in life, or at least he did. He was going to be an animal doctor like his dad, who started the Smith Veterinary Hospital more than 50 years ago. We played marbles and slid on the ice and vowed we would never marry. Who liked girls anyway?

In junior high we got our first jobs together, as sack boys in a grocery store. For a while in 1951, each day after work Tom let me go with him to his dad's clinic and put Vaseline on the burns of the original Smokey Bear. It is something I still talk about today. Many years later, when I had graduated from engineering school, I went to visit a friend in Washington D.C. I told her about helping take care of Smokey, after he was burned in a fire in the Capitan Mountains in southern New Mexico. I told her how the symbol for fire prevention had been created from that bear. But she didn't believe me. She thought the symbol had been created first and them a bear had been found to represent it. To settle the argument we went to the Washington Zoo—and sure enough, there was Tom's dad's picture, along with the story, just as I had told it, by the side of the cage that housed old Smokey. My buddy Tom had made me a hero.

When high school came around, Tom became the captain of the football team. As tough as he was, he could always make me laugh during practice. He played center, and when I was opposite him on the line, he would cross his eyes behind his thick glasses and stare at me. In the brief moment that I was distracted, he would hike the football and knock me on my bottom. He would then give me a hand up as he laughed about his screwy move.

After practice we would take a shower and then meet later at some malt shop to “spot girls,” as we used to say in those days. For some reason girls were becoming more important to us.

I remember one night a group of us managed to acquire a ball from our local bowling alley. We drove up to the top of Washington Avenue, which runs north-south on the east side of the Plaza and slopes uphill to the north. About three blocks from the Plaza, Tom got out of the car and bowled the ball as hard as he could down Washington Avenue. He got back in, and we left as the ball was gaining speed on its way south. I've often wonderful what was that ball's final destination.

When high school ended, five of us agreed to go to college together. We all headed out to Colorado State University. Four of us weren't sure what educational field we wanted to pursue, but Tom's dream had never wavered. To be a veterinary doctor, like his father, was his goal. Of the five of us, only Tom stayed the full course. The rest of us went on to other things or other schools.

During his university days, he met his future wife, Jean, and they went on to have three children—two boys and a girl, all of them successful. Of the three, his daughter followed Tom in the field of veterinary medicine, and she runs the Smith clinic today.

Some years later when I got married, Tom was in the wedding party. Knowing that he and my other friends might want to do some mischief to my car, I hid it in my future in-laws’ neighbor's garage. Who would ever think of looking there? I didn't even tell my mother. When Tom asked her where the car was so that they could do a little wedding work on it, my mother, being something of a prankster herself, said she didn't know either, but would try to find out. She then approached my future mother-in-law and said she was worried about Tom and the guys messing up the car. My future mother-in-law, never thinking my mother would be involved, told her the car was well hidden in her neighbor's garage. Later, when my wife and I got to the car, thinking all was well, we couldn't believe the guys had found it. There was writing all over the outside and empty champagne bottles, by then smelling like vinegar, littering the interior.

When Tom retired a few years ago, he and Jean decided to move to Montana to do some ranching, which had always interested them both. Though it was the first time we had been separated by such a distance since college, our friendship remained strong. We spoke often about business matters, but it always got down to buddy talk. I used to tell him, "Tom, if I know I’m going to have a rough week, I always like to call you." He would say, "Why?" And I would say, "Because after you tell me all your problems, my week sounds easy."

Tom had a way of talking about some small problem he had encountered—like one of his cows having a calf too early in the year and him having to stay all night to keep the calf warm—in a way that made it sound hysterically funny. After laughing at his story, I could face my week with the greatest of ease. As my problems came charging at me full throttle, all I had to do was think about Tom's story of the week and everything seemed less severe.

As good as Tom was at making mountains out of molehills, he also made molehills out of mountains. When he first told me about his cancer, he glided through the problem with surgical skill. Never over-dramatizing, he calmly explained his situation in a clear and articulate manner. He was so cool in his explanation that I failed to understand how serious the situation was.

Tom and I, along with some other fellows, had a real estate business deal cooking; and I, being the broker in charge, had been talking to him on a regular basis until just a couple of months ago. Then I hit a few snags orchestrating the final deal, and I wanted to wait to call until I had good news. Before I did, however, his daughter called yesterday, with the bad news. Now I punish myself for not calling him sooner.

Most of us have only a few really special friends. Communicate with them often and let them know that you have them in your thoughts. Remember, tomorrow might be too late. Don't end up being sorry like me.

Have a better day than I.


Email Stan


Copyright © 2000-2013 Santa Fe Always Online, Inc.